Thursday, October 20, 2011

Stanford Database Class

I decided to take the Introduction to Databases free online class thinking that it might be interesting considering I work with databases for the applications I support for work. I was close to just backing out since there seemed to be a lot of work for the class, but apparently there's no penalty at all for just not doing the work. So I decided, why not. If I have time, I'll do the work. If I don't, it won't hurt me, but it'll just skew the stats they're gathering for this experiment. Well it's Stanford also so I can skew all I want. Go Bears!

So I'm listening to the professor talk. She sounds a lot like Ellen Degeneres. I did the first XML quiz last night and it took me about half an hour since the questions were multiple choice and had symbols which were not covered by the lectures. I appreciate them wanting us to do a little more learning past the lectures, but man it was late at night and my brain power was at an absolute minimum. Today I decided to tackle the DTD writing and I might say, I like writing these things. Albeit that the XML file they were providing was so big and without having to do trial and error, I don't think anyone would've gotten it in one shot unless they really looked at the file closely. Good thing there was validation prior to submission.

Right now I'm learning about Relational Algebra and getting quite a kick out of it. Reminds me a lot of Chemistry. I find it oddly fun and interesting. I know I'm a nerd. I think this final quiz is going to be a breeze as I've passed all the mini quizzes in the lesson so far with flying colors.

If you have any time on your hands and want to learn about Databases, this class is at a comfortable pace so far and not too late to join of course: http://www.db-class.org/

You get a certificate of completion (if you complete it) at the end and a wealth of knowledge that will stay with you forever....ever....ever. :) Though for me it's more for making sure my brain's not deteriorating and that I'm possibly still smart in there.

Anyone else out there taking this class? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment